Thursday 6 September 2007

September 2007

This is the second Kitchen that we have had from Magnets. The reason that we chose to go with them for a second time is quite obvious, the service we recieved the first time around was quite good.

Now we are wishing we hadn't!!

Wes started planning to install a new kitchen when my father, who is 77, decided to sell his house and move in with us.

We went to our local Magnet Showroom, on the Thorpe Industrial Estate, perused all that they had to offer and finally decided on the one we wanted.

We then arranged for a designer/salesperson to visit, a nice man called Steve.

The job was not easy for Steve, due to the fact that at this point we could only try to visualise what we wanted as a wall had to be taken out.

Steve duly set about designing what we wanted and between us we decided on what we now are in the process of trying to have installed, lovely so far.

At this point we paid a 10% deposit, no problem.

Now our building work started.

We were told that there was a 6 week delivery period and were told we had to pay in full before we could be given a delivery day. Again, no problem. If this is the terms of their contract, that is what has to be done.

We discussed installation costs, but after the last kitchen we had from Magnet the installer at that time explained how the cost of installing paid by the customer was split between Magnet and the fitter. So, not entirely based on cost, although that was a major factor, we decided to use a carpenter friend of ours, who incidently has fitted a few Magnet kitchens anyway.

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THIS STORY, SO PLEASE REMEMBER!

Our building work was duly carried out and our kitchen was delivered last Thursday, 30th August.

We knew that the installation would'nt start until Monday(3rd September) but we had a bit of space to store it until needed.

Two really nice delivery guys came with the kitchen and counted and checked everything off. There was an item missing! The missing item was part of the work top, the breakfast bar!
They told us not to worry as it "would be delivered in 48 hours". that was Thursday.

By Tuesday of this week it wasn't here, so our fitter rang the store in Thorpe to ask when it would be here. He was told it should be with us NEXT Wednesday(12th).

He then went on to explain that this wasn't really good enough as it was needed quite urgently. They said that they would call their Head Office in Darlington. John, our fitter, said not to worry as he would call them directly. This he did.

Now starts the reason for starting this Blogg.

They re-iterated to John that it was indeed the case, our breakfast bar wouldn't be here until probably next Wednesday. The delivery would be at Thorpe sometime Monday, so by the time the load was sorted it would be here by Wednesday.

At this juncture they dropped into the conversation that if we had ordered our fitting to be done by Magnet, directly, the missing item would have been with us within 2 days.

When John told myself, and my wife, I didn't believe it.

So, today, Thursday, I gave them a call. Not only was I told exactly the same by someone in their "customer services" department, at the point that our conversation started to become an argument, I didn't swear or raise my voice, she also tried to tell me that the driver shouldn't, and couldn't tell me when it would be here as "he was ONLY a driver and that he worked for their sub-contracter, Wincanton, anyway".

I tried to explain to her that our "contract", she had also told me at this point that I should have read the small print in the contract, by the way, was with Magnet and if they decided to use outside entities that was entirely up to them, and as far as I was concerned our problem was with them and only them.
Hence the reason for writing this now!!

I consider this to be totally unprofessional and also shows a complete lack of understanding of customers needs and expectations. I am not a serial complainer, this is the first time I have ever started anything like this, but I am sick and tired of people/businesses/tradespeople treating me and my family as idiots.

This is not about the missing item anymore, it is about people and companies resolving complaints or questions in a manner that is not surly or dismissive.

The person I spoke to today said sorry in a manner that seemed as is it was from a script, with no empathy or true understanding of my issues.

Surfice it to say, this is the last time that I will be ever buying anything from Magnet.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your blog about Magnet Kitchens. I think you got off very lightly compared to our experience with Magnet Kitchens, we did use there installation service, doors missing, no handles, a 16 year old was left to do all the electrics, the work top was damaged and didn't fit to the wall. It took weeks to get it all sorted out. The sales man at the showroom was very unpleasant when we complained. I would never recommend a Magnet Kitchen to anyone.

Marie said...

Hi, I had a bad experience with Magnet too(Northwich store in Cheshire). I ordered my kitchen including units, appliances and the fitting. They provided me with an installation date; 8 weeks after the order. Then a week before the installation date, the kitchen fitter from Magnet came to visit the house. He told me that I had to pay extra money because he had to move 2 electric switches and connect the gas (gas was already there, it just needed to connect it to the gas hob) and he also said that the delivery date would be for in 6 weeks time. I explained to him that this "additional" work was already included in the fitting price and that Magnet already provided an installation date which was for the following week. 5 days before the kitchen installation date, the store manager called to say that Magnet was cancelling the kitchen without any explanation.
I went to the store and requested an official letter explaining the reasons. He told me that he couldn't give me the reasons and that the letter was coming from HQ. A week later, I receive a letter, not from Magnet HQ but from the store manager, stating that they canceled the kitchen because I refused to pay the additional cost!! I couldn't believe it.
A week after, the Magnet kitchen fitter contacted me to offer me to order my kitchen through him!!
I couldn't believe it.
There is clearly something dodgy in this store.
After that I even had to argue to get my deposit back.

So Magnet made me loose 8 weeks.
Fortunately, There is good thing in bad, I found a local kitchen designer. My new kitchen has a better quality, has more storage space (Magnet design had lots of wasted space), had better appliances and was £3000 cheaper than Magnet! When the new kitchen fitter came to visit the house, he told me that there weren't any extra work to do to fit the kitchen (contradising what the Magnet fitter told me), that all switches and gas were already fully ready and that they just had to plug them in.

So Magnet are obviously liars and thieves!!

Jack said...

kitchens solihull

Fantastic article, it’s very comprehensive and exciting! it’s so helpful to me, and your weblog is very good. This is a really good read for me, Thanks for posting this informative article. Read your other posts as well, all were good. I am definitely going to share this URL with my friends. Just bookmarked this site.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Magnet have mucked me about too. I have lost income because of days taken off work to prepare the house for 3 different start dates, no private tuition income because my teaching room is out of action, being full of the contents of my old kitchen cupboards. The disruption is becoming highly stressful and they haven't even delivered it yet. They're very keen to take the money (up front) but then drop you like a stone. They deny all knowledge of previous conversations regarding fitting costs, start dates etc and leave it to the fitter to do their dirty work regarding changing dates/details of the contract etc.

I'm not going to identify the Magnet branch concerned until after they've fitted the kitchen to my total satisfaction. An appalling service from an unscrupulous bunch.

Anonymous said...

Fed up with Magnet. Left a great pile of rubbish blocking our patio. Did not collect it and take it away as they said they would.
Magnets surveyor was a waste of space. Magnet sold us a lot of items that were delivered and not fitted. We were charged for them but are waiting for a refund? They took them away though ( Theft ? ) Magnets installer failed to connect the extractor to the ducting properly in the loft and I had to go into the loft to help rectify the problem. Also sink did not work and water would not drain away at all. Magnets fitter a decent bloke really was working on his own and was out of his depth. I had to fix the problem myself. Simply not good enough. He also damaged cieling below which was not neccesary and has not been repaired. Magnets wants all the money up front. Once this outfit has your money they stick up two fingers at the customer. Dont have anything to do with them.

Anonymous said...

Re 9 Montford Place SE11 5DE
I need to make a formal complaint about the appalling service I am receiving. This concerns the delivery of a kitchen (or not as the case is). I need to speak to someone who is a) senior b)responsible c) is capable of responding to this case. A regular call from a “Customer service” operative won’t do. Please can you let me know by e-mail who I can talk to about this and their contact details. Alternatively please send me the name and contact details of your Chief Executive. Thanks

Unknown said...

Vinyl wrap peeled of my dishwasher integrated door due to delamination after 4 years. They refused to accept responsibility. Suggest you express frustrations on YouTube. They post videos about how wonderful they are and do respond to comments.

Unknown said...

Vinyl wrap peeled of my dishwasher integrated door due to delamination after 4 years. They refused to accept responsibility. Suggest you express frustrations on YouTube. They post videos about how wonderful they are and do respond to comments.

Unknown said...

I had to wait 2 1/2 years for my installation to be completed - even then it's a diabolical mess. Contact trustmark. They helped me no end. Magnet are rip off merchants,

Anonymous said...

just got a magnet kitchen... totally regret it, they left out the pull out larder in the order and blamed us for failing to check the contract and asked us to pay for it.

we have had many other design problems which we had to solve our selves.

Their service is v v v v poor use john lewis

Anonymous said...

Magnet salisbury what a usless bunch....

Have to agree with all they could not design a kitchen to save their lives, charming at the start all the sales spiel we were left to sort out all problems their so called designer had left for us, and again wanted us to pay for it.

Still waiting for a refund after 2 months even though they want their money up front if you have any spence do not use them.

Again as soon as you have any issues it all becomes very defensive and they will not return phone calls emails you have to. Go in to store to see them, they would not even visit site to see what a mess they had made....

DO NOT USE ANYTHING MUST BE BETTER THAN THIS....

Unknown said...

Don't use the Bath branch, they are happy to take your money promise you everything!

We ordered and payed for a new kitchen, we were given an installation date, then a week before, they delayed it by 8 weeks due to "forgot to order our kitchen from factory".

I complained to manager, he was not interested in helping to resolve the problem......

Unknown said...

Always make your research before contacting any Kitchen's Company. Let know about their previous projects and some real reviews about their services because you are going to pay for best supplies and services that gives you peace of mind.

Unknown said...

Hellooo. Thanks for Sharing useful information regarding kitchen Extensions. Kitchens are always gives beautiful look to any house. Keep Visit us. Thanks again!!!

Unknown said...

DO NOT TOUCH MAGNETS WITH A BARGE POLE and do not think that the furniture omnibus will be of any help at all total con